Tuesday, February 17, 2015

FLOG: Deleting Can Be Dangerous

Wow, have I failed fabulously!

A few days ago, I got a wild hair and decided to tidy up my photographs.  I'd gotten an alert that some new images from my iPhone had been automatically uploaded to Google+, along with an option to share them.  For some reason, rather than ignoring the message like I usually do, I was prompted to look through all of the photos and start deleting images that I didn't think that I'd be needing again.  I had duplicates of several images, and I thought others were no longer needed because they were already posted to my blog.

What I didn't realize was that deleting the images from this stream had the result of automatically removing them from all of my blog posts!  Conceptually, I missed the boat on where the images actually live when they are uploaded to Blogger.

Since I'd been so thorough that day, I emptied my trash before discovering my error.  The images that had been saved to my Drive were safe, but the ones that I'd downloaded to my Chromebook and then uploaded to my blog (without saving to Drive) all disappeared.

After spending the morning trying to reconstruct and replace the missing images, I can safely say that I have learned something new about what NOT to do.  I have also learned that it might be a good idea to create a folder in my Google Drive for all of my Blogger images.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.