Sunday, November 2, 2014

Grateful for the Daily Grind (30 Day Blogging Challenge #2)

Today's prompt:

What is one small delight in the day that you always look forward to?


One thing that has remained constant throughout my career, whether I've been working full time or doing freelance work, is my morning cup of coffee. I can't remember when it first started, but, for as long as I can remember, my husband has been getting up before me to prepare it.  For years, this gesture has set the tone for my days, filling me with gratitude in the hours before even seeing my first students.  

It begins with an evening ritual. 
Nearly every night, just before he lets the dog out one last time, he pads down to the kitchen in his pajamas to grind coffee, fill a pot with water, and set the automatic timer.  

While he's working, I hear him rhythmically pounding the grinder on the counter (it almost always gets stuck).  Occasionally, he sings or entertains himself with a broad range of nonsensical mumbling-- comforting sounds that help lull me to sleep.

Because I tend to be on the clumsy side in the morning, with a propensity for dribbling on my clothes if allowed to carelessly overfill my own cup, he usually invites me to sit down with my iPad before personally handing me my mug.  

My weekday mug is chipped, but I love it. It was painted by my daughter eleven years ago, when she was only four.

On weekends, the ritual changes.  My weekend mug is broad, green, and filled with homemade cappuccino.  Saturday mornings are flavored with a hint of maple syrup and sprinkled with freshly grated chocolate flakes.  
While I suspect that I am not alone in embracing my first cup of coffee each morning, I feel grateful that my husband takes the time and effort to nurture me with this daily gift. 

This is true whether I am working full-time or merely subbing, as is currently the case.  I am grateful that this writing prompt came on a Saturday and that I was reminded to tell my husband how much I appreciate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.