Monday, September 29, 2014

How I've Changed as an Educator (30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 29)

How have you changed as an educator since you first started?

A hamster wheel on the curb and a door l by Tassava, on Flickr
Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License   by  Tassava 

The complexity of this question is staggering, but I will attempt to answer the question as candidly and succinctly as possible.

The biggest way that I've changed as an educator is in the way that I've chosen to embrace my own imperfections in order to allow myself to evolve and grow.

Like most educators, I am a hard worker. Doing quality work and being regarded as competent matters to me.   Unfortunately, I have a track record of doing what Brene Brown refers to as "hustling for worthiness."  In other words, because I occasionally put too much stock in what others may think about me, I have made the mistake of equating my productivity with self-worth.  Because I recognize that this is not a healthy way to live, I have been making a concerted effort to live a more authentic and wholehearted life.  Additionally, having the courage to step away from the hamster wheel, and to be open to other opportunities that present themselves, has given me more room for optimism, hope, and joy.  This has allowed me to do a better job of balancing my personal and professional responsibilities, resulting in my becoming a more creative and resilient person.  I forgive myself easier, and find it easier to grapple with failure, which has resulted in my being a more compassionate and encouraging educator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.