Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What is Feedback? (30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 14)

Today's (belated) prompt is, "What is feedback for learning, and how often do you give it to students?"


When I worked as a humanities teacher, formative feedback often took the form of written comments on essays or written/spoken suggestions during peer and teacher conferencing.  Summative feedback more frequently looked like a score on a rubric or test/ quiz.   I routinely allowed students to make revisions to written work and to resubmit assignments, because I believe the process of revision is so important.

More recently, while I was teaching a Computer Apps class at BRMS, feedback took other forms. In addition to using rubrics to assess projects,  I more frequently used quick check-ins and assessments. These not only gave me feedback about my students, but they also provided my students with immediate feedback about areas they needed to spend more time focusing upon.  For example, when introducing students to copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons, I administered pre-assessments using either a Google Form that I quickly graded with Flubaroo or quizzes on Socrative. 

I was also fortunate to have a class set-up that allowed me to demonstrate an activity (sometimes via screen cast or a YouTube video) and then give students structured studio time in which to create, while I circulated around the room answering questions as they arose. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.