Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Give Yourself a Break (30 Day Blogging Challenge #20)

Nov. 20's (belated) prompt:

What is one life lesson that you are thankful for having learned?


One life lesson that I continue to learn is the importance of self-compassion.  As a recovering perfectionist, I often find myself obsessing over details and doing what Brene' Brown refers to as "hustling for worthiness." From the conversations I've had with others on this subject, I know that I am not alone.  

Three years ago, Dr. Ken Bergstrom shared some indelicate words of wisdom with me, which I have quoted here:


Over time, I have been learning to let go of the need for perfection in exchange for cultivating self-compassion.  Just because I've learned the lesson doesn't mean that I don't need constant reminders. Thankfully, Ken's words help me remember that we are all human and are doing the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.