Friday, November 28, 2014

Way Opens (30 Day Blogging Challenge #28)

Today's (Nov 28) prompt:

Talk about one opportunity that you are grateful in hindsight for having passed you by.

Behind Door Number Three by anyjazz65, on Flickr
Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License   by  anyjazz65  
"There is as much guidance in way that closes behind us as in way that opens up ahead of us. The opening may reveal our potentials while the closing may reveal our limits—two sides to the same coin, the coin called identity."  Parker Palmer
I'm not sure that I believe that everything happens for a reason, but I do believe that new opportunities often present themselves when others disappear.  Although I am not always easily consoled by that wisdom when my heart is broken, or when I feel like I wasn't the chosen one, I am comforted by the Quaker expression that "way opens."  As reality dictates, in a world that does not revolve around our individual wants and desires, way doesn't always take us down the paths we might imagine for ourselves.
When a position I was interested in applying for this summer was filled without being advertised, I was disappointed.  Because I'd waited for a posting, rather than being more proactive, I felt like I'd missed out on an opportunity. With the benefit of hindsight, I am grateful that I've had this year to continue learning and teaching in new ways that I might not have otherwise done.  Having the time has increased my schedule's flexibility, giving me more opportunities to try new things and travel with my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.